This was my first attempt at making pickles. Sometimes canning can be intimidating and so far everything that I have tried has turned out to be quite easy. I found two recipes that I liked but I couldn't decide between the two because they were quite different, so I combined them to make my own recipe! I am VERY pleased with how it turned out. I hope you enjoy it!
- 5-6 cucumbers, sliced thin, peels left on
- 1 onion, sliced thin (I used almost a whole red onion)
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar (That was cut in half, but some people wont want it that tart)
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- minced garlic
- red pepper flakes (leave this out if you don't like a little kick)
- 6 pint-size mason jars
Slice the cucumbers and onion. Divide half of the cucumbers among the 6 jars, filling the jars almost half way full. Divide the onion among the jars. On top of the onion add about half a teaspoon each of minced garlic and red pepper flakes, more or less depending on your taste, to each jar. A little goes a long way with both of these ingredients. Finish the jars off with the remaining cucumbers. Don't be afraid to pack it in there, the liquid will run through it.
In a large sauce pan combine the vinegar, sugar, and celery seed. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved, this wont take long. Carefully pour over cucumbers in each jar, filling to the top but leaving about half an inch of room. DON'T FORGET THE JARS WILL BE VERY HOT!!! Carefully seal tight with lids and let cool before putting them in the fridge. Let sit for at least 24 hours before eating. These don't have to be processed, just keep them in the fridge. They will keep for a long time, if they aren't eaten first!
- If you find yourself with not enough liquid, don't panic. Just make a little more! Its 1 part sugar to 2 parts vinegar. So if you need half a cup, just add 1/4 cup sugar to 1/2 cup vinegar. Easy fix.
- If you spill any of the liquid putting it into the jars, best done using a funnel, make sure you wipe it up and then wash the counter with soap and water. You WILL have ants, remember, ITS SUGAR!